1. Patriot Coal (PCX) is a producer of coal and metallurgical coal in Eastern U.S. and has its operations and coal reserves in the Appalachia and the Illinois Basin. The company's operations constitute 14 mining complexes including company-operated mines, contractor-operated mines, and coal preparation facilities. Patriot Coal ships coal to electric utilities, industrial users, and metallurgical coal customers.
For the first quarter of 2011, the company recorded net revenue of $577 million, up 23.5% from the prior year's same period, as sales increased 4.8% to 7,962 from 7,595. Average sales price per ton rose to $71.64 from $61.12. However, higher costs and expenses dragged the company's bottom-line into red as it reported a net loss of $15.3 million or 17 cents per share, compared to an income of $4.3 million or 5 cents per share in the first quarter of 2010. Lastly, the company ended the quarter with cash and cash equivalents of $241.3 million, up 25% quarter-over-quarter.
For full year 2011, Patriot anticipate sales volume in the range of 30 to 32 million tons, including metallurgical coal sales of 8-8.4 million tons. Also, it expects 2011 cost per ton in the range of $63 to $67 for the Appalachia segment and $40-$43 for the Illinois Basin segment.Of the 17 analysts covering the stock, 41% recommend a buy and 41% rate a hold. Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the stock to gain an average 44.6% to $30.10 in the upcoming 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV