Gold for August delivery inched up $1.50 to $1,549 at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. Silver prices for July were adding 61 cents to $37.23 an ounce while the U.S. dollar index was adding 0.3% to $74.13.
ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet signaled that while the refinancing rate would be kept at 1.25%, the ECB would give "strong vigilance" to the risks, suggesting that the markets might see a rate rise in one month.
Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke's recent speech in Atlanta has been a mixed bag for gold prices. Gold rallied modestly this week and the last but sold off during Bernanke's outlook for the economy on Tuesday.The chairman's commitment to low interest rates for an extended period is a positive for gold prices as inflation is on track to outpace interest rates. However, lack of additional federal stimulus can lead to worries about growing inflation, favoring demand for gold as a safe haven asset. Base metals on the Shanghai Futures Exchanges were mixed overnight. "Investors stayed on the sidelines amid uncertainty over macroeconomic conditions and ahead of China's next set of month data releases," according to a RBC Capital Markets report. Barrick Gold (ABX) is down 0.20% at $44.24 while Newmont Mining (NEM) is up 0.1% at $52.19. Other gold stocks, Goldcorp (GG) and AngloGold Ashanti (AU) are down 0.23% and up 0.53%, respectively.
|More on Gold Gold Price News|
|How to Invest in Gold|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Chao Deng. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adsteel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV