Demand for yield is a condition not lost on ETF issuers and new products were issued and assets in these categories have grown substantially. We'll investigate some, not all, of the top issues in both these sectors.
Let's look at typical and more popular choices.
HYG (iShares iBoxx High Yield Bond ETF) tracks the index of the iBoxx High Yield Index. It's been a big money maker for iShares given the fee of .50%. The current yield is near 7.75% and one year return is over 18% which enhances the "you get what you pay for" theme. AUM (Assets under Management) are just shy of $9B and average daily trading volume is just over 1M shares. As demand increases for both ETFs and mutual funds, supply considerations become more difficult to deal with for all sponsors. Over 40% of holdings are rated B and the average duration is less than 10 years.
Data as of June 2011 HYG Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Citigroup 7%: 1.15%
- Lyondell Chemical 11%: 0.94%
- HCA 9.25%: 0.87%
- First Data 12.625%: 0.83%
- Citigroup 7%: 0.82%
- Intelsat Bermuda 11.25%: 0.76%
- Texas Competitive Electric 11.5%: 0.72%
- Springleaf Financial 6.9%: 0.72%
- CHS Community Health 8.875%: 0.71%
- Energy Future Inter Holdings 10%: 0.64%
- Citigroup 7%: 3.51%
- Lyondell Chemical 11%: 1.73%
- First Data 144A 12.625%: 1.51%
- Harrah's Operations 10%: 1.43%
- Intelsat Bermuda 11.25%: 1.41%
- Energy Future International Holdings 10%: 1.12%
- Wind Acquisition Financial 11.75%: 1.09%
- Clear Channel Holdings 9.25%: 1.04%
- Residential Capital Corp 9.625%: 1.01%
- FMG Resources PTY 7%: 0.99%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV