1. Flight/hotel packages
FareCompare's Seaney strongly recommended booking a flight and hotel together for winter holiday savings and says the same advice applies during the summer. The airfare may be a bit more expensive during that time, but hotels will offer deep discounts for certain dates just to fill vacancies.
Some hotels will take it a step further. Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) and its Hotel Indigo, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn and other properties offered to pay guests' checked-baggage fees last summer and during the winter holidays. This summer, InterContinental is giving guests a $75 prepaid card for staying on consecutive weekend nights and suggesting that they apply the cards -- redeemable up to $300 -- toward baggage fees.
"What makes this summer really stand out is the abundance of value-add offers from hotels," Travelocity's Brown says. "Hotels have regained some pricing power in the last year, and they're not keen to give that up by slashing rates, so instead they sweeten the deal with incentives like free nights, free room upgrades, resort credits and pretty much everything else under the sun to get travelers to pull the trigger and book."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV