Fitch: U.S. Risks Downgrade of AAA Rating
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Fitch Ratings said Wednesday the U.S. probably wouldn't be able to preserve its "AAA" sovereign ratings status if it didn't make "full and timely" payments on its debt.
The ratings agency said it was confident that the U.S. would raise its debt ceiling and make payments on the debt, but that "such a 'tail risk' for the world's most important fixed-income issuer warrants comment as well as clarity from Fitch for users of its ratings ..."
Disputes between Republicans and Democrats have hampered measures to raise the debt ceiling. The U.S. reached the debt limit of $14.3 billion last month.
Fitch issued a similar watch statement in 1995 when it considered a default on Treasury interest payments as possible, but dropped it after Congress and former President Bill Clinton agreed to raise the maximum amount that could be borrowed.Fitch said it would downgrade the U.S. to "restricted default" if it did not honor its debt obligations by Aug. 15. Moody's warned last week it might consider cutting the U.S.'s credit rating if there wasn't a deal to raise the debt ceiling. --Written by Joe Deaux in New York.
>To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV