NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Copper contracts for July are down $0.06 on broader economic concerns following yesterday's remarks from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke.
Copper is trading at $4.08 a pound on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The slight decline comes after an acknowledgement of the bleak economic outlook from Bernanke. The chairman stopped short of offering additional stimulus plans to boost growth, leaving investors uncertain over whether markets could reverse a five-day losing streak.
Copper prices on the London Metal Exchange saw a weak close. The three-month price fell 1.3% to $9,026 a metric ton. Today's drop was the first in four days.
Copper and several base metals also settled lower overnight on the Shanghai Futures Exchange. Most economists believe, however, that copper demand will remain strong as ongoing construction in the transportation and energy industries of developing countries will likely sustain overall global demand for the red metal.A weaker dollar tends to make dollar-priced commodities like copper more expensive for buyers using foreign currencies. The dollar index is up 0.38%. The greenback is falling 0.57% against the euro and 0.24 against the yen. If stocks continue their downward trend, copper could see high prices as investors look for a safe place to stash cash. Copper mining stocks are mixed in trading this morning. Mining company Southern Copper (SCCO)is down 0.4% at $31.22. Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold (FCX)is down 0.2% at $49.64. -- Written by Chao Deng in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Chao Deng. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Chao Deng. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV