NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Western Gas Partners (WES), Williams Partners (WPZ), YPF SA (YPF), Trina Solar (TSL), Petroleo Brasileiro (PBR), BreitBurn Energy Partners (BBEP), Enterprise Products Partners (EPD), InterOil Corporation (IOC), El Paso Pipeline Partners (EPB) and Linn Energy (LINE) are energy stocks trading at a lower beta.
EIA projects global oil consumption to grow by 1.7 million barrels per day (b/d) in 2011, from 86.7 million b/d in 2010. The agency adds that world consumption could increase by 1.6 million b/d in 2012. At close Tuesday (June 7, 2011), WTI crude traded at $98.2 per barrel, while Brent crude settled at $116.2 per barrel.
These 10 energy stocks are trading at a lower beta compared to peers and are relatively safe plays in a volatile market. In addition, these stocks have 15% to 84% upside potential, based on analysts' average 12-month price targets.
10. Petroleo Brasileiro (PBR) is an integrated Brazilian oil and gas company engaged in the exploration and production, refining, transportation, and marketing of gas and power.
Net income for the first quarter of 2011 was reported 42% higher than the same period in 2010, driven by a demand surge for oil products in the domestic market. Higher oil prices and volumes during the year delivered a positive impact on the company exploration and production segment. Concurrently, spiking oil prices pressured the downstream business.At the end of the first quarter, the company's leverage declined to 17%, much lower than Petroleo's established limit of 35%. Experts peg 2011 capex at around $30 billion to $35 billion, up from $27 billion in 2010. Majority of the 2010 investments were utilized for pre-salt projects. According to Bloomberg, the adjusted beta for the past six months stands at 0.95. Analysts' consensus estimate projects average gains at 45% over the next one year. The stock is trading at 8.5 times its estimated 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV