LOS ANGELES (TheStreet) -- Homes that make it into movies and onto your television screen are stars in their own right, but don't require a celebrity paycheck if you're looking to buy one.
In this housing market, nothing's quite as costly as it once was. The Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller 20-city monthly index found that housing prices in major metro areas have sunk to their lowest point since 2002 and have fallen more quickly since the bubble burst in 2006 than they did during the Great Depression. Average prices are down 3.5% over the past year and 7% since last summer.
The National Association of Realtors doesn't have much better news to share, as existing home sales fell 0.05% from March to April and 12% since April 2010. Median existing home prices also fell 5% over the past year as distressed homes sold at a discount of 20% or less accounted for 37% of all April home sales.
Meanwhile, Freddie Mac's rate for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage sits at 4.55%, its lowest point since December. Still think you can't just watch a movie and shop for that house you liked in it? Still think the house in the credits of your favorite TV show is out of your reach? With a little help from the folks at Zillow, TheStreet took a look at 10 of the most famous properties in television and film and found out what they'd really cost. While there's some star-quality sticker shock in this group, there were a few famous properties with audience-friendly asking prices:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV