(WMT) Dairy and Meat Products
Wal-Mart raised prices on a number of groceries this years, particularly dairy and meat products, CFO Charles Holley said in May.
The retail behemoth raised grocery prices in response to rising commodity costs, especially for corn and for grain that is used for cattle feed.
Whole milk prices averaged a cost of $3.597 per gallon in April, up 15% year-over-year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.The average retail price of cheddar cheese rose nearly 3% year-over-year to $5.204 per pound this spring, the highest price since the early 1980s. Nationwide retail prices for meat are expected to grow 6% to 7% in 2011, year-over-year, with beef prices expected to rise 7% to 8%. As of April beef prices were already 12% higher than they were a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV