1. Caterpillar (CAT) manufactures construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines and industrial gas turbines. The company's three major lines of business are machinery, engines and financial products.
For the first quarter of 2011, the company realized record all-time quarterly profit of $1.2 billion or $1.84, compared to $233 million or 36 cents per share in first quarter of 2010. Sales during the quarter increased 57% to $12.9 billion from year ago quarter. As of March 31, 2011, order backlog stood at $20.8 billion, up 11% from $18.7 billion as on Dec. 31, 2010.
The company has opened a new remanufacturing facility in Singapore to serve as the regional source for remanufactured major components for large off-highway trucks and other mining equipment, including engines, transmissions, final drives and torque converters.For April 2011, the company recorded global sales growth of 66% as compared to a 4% decline during the same month of the prior year -- so far the highest in 2011. Looking ahead to 2011, CAT estimates revenue in the range of $52 to $54 billion with earnings per share of $6.25 to $6.75, the highest annual profit in company's history. The outlook, however, does not include the acquisition of MWM Holding GmbH or Bucyrus International (BUCY) as they are expected to complete in mid-2011. Of the 14 analysts covering the stock, 67% recommend a buy and the rest suggest a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the stock to gain an average 34.1% to $133.93 in the upcoming 12 months. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 7 Equipment Stocks With Upside portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV