SHY: iShares Barclays 1-3 Year Treasury Bond ETF (SHY) has the highest amount of assets under management, $8.2 billion, and an average daily trading volume just under 1 million shares. The expense ratio is .15% and it's been in existence since July 2002.
The yield is .98% and 1-year return as of May 2011 is 1.70%. With yields this low, you might consider this ETF and its competitors similar to cash on the sidelines or safe-parking. Competitive issues include Vanguard's VGSH, begun in November 2009 with similar holdings and an expense ratio of .15%, AUM of $121 million, daily trading volume 18K shares and similar returns and yield; Schwab's SCHO tracking the same index but with a slightly lower expense ratio of .12% and AUM of $110 million; PIMCO's TUZ tracking BofA Merrill Lynch 1-3 Year Treasury Index with an expense ratio of .09% begun in June 2009 with AUM of $107 million.
Data as of May 2011
SHY Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
US Treasury Note 1.25%: 14.36%
US Treasury Note 0.75%: 9.00%
US Treasury Note 1.75%: 7.51%
US Treasury Note 1.375%: 6.70%
US Treasury Note 0.75%: 5.56%
US Treasury Note 1%: 5.23%
US Treasury Note 1.125%: 5.06%
US Treasury Note 1.75%: 3.59%
US Treasury Note 1.375%: 3.13%
US Treasury Note 1.375%: 2.65%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV