NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- General Electric (GE) and Capital One Financial (COF) submitted bids for ING's (ING) U.S. online bank last week in a sale that may raise about $9 billion, Bloomberg reported, citing people with direct knowledge of the matter.
ING, the Dutch lender, could reach an agreement to sell ING Direct USA as soon as this month, Bloomberg reported.
GE made an all-cash bid for ING Direct USA, while Capital One's offer includes some stock, the people said.
ING Direct USA is the largest U.S. online bank with $81.6 billion of deposits."The process to prepare a divestment of ING Direct USA is continuing," Raymond Vermeulen, a spokesman for Amsterdam-based ING, told Bloomberg. He declined to comment on any potential bidders or the value. ING agreed to sell ING Direct USA by 2013 to obtain European Commission approval for the €10 billion of aid received from the Dutch state in 2008 during the financial crisis. Proceeds from the sale would be used to repay the state, Reuters reported. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV