MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- It was a rough week for stocks, but within the tempest was a calm harbor for a handful of stocks reporting earnings results last week. Names such as Daktronics (DAKT), Phillips-Van Heusen (PVH) and Joy Global (JOYG) moved higher thanks to impressive reports.
For those having difficulty determining the direction of the current market, profits can be made by executing a simple strategy of trading stocks set to release earnings reports. My objective here is to provide snapshot of those companies and the likelihood that they will beat or miss earnings estimates, with the ultimate goal of anticipating the direction in which the stocks will head after their reports.
The stock market is facing tremendous headwinds, including a slowing economy in the midst of disinterest in pumping more money into the system. Fiscal stimulus may be needed, but the likelihood of getting governmental dollars into the economy at a time of massive debts is unlikely. In addition, the Federal Reserve has announced an ending to its quantitative easing program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV