7. First Niagara Financial Group
Shares of First Niagara Financial Group (FNFG) of Buffalo, N.Y., closed at $13.73 Friday, returning 8% from a year earlier. Based on a quarterly payout of 16 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 4.66%.
The company on April 15 completed its acquisition of NewAlliance Bancshares of New Haven, Conn., for roughly $1.5 billion in cash and stock, increasing First Niagara's total assets to about $30 billion, with over 300 branches in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Upstate New York.First-quarter net income was $44.9 million, or 22 cents a share, increasing from $28.9 million, or 16 cents a share in the first quarter of 2010. The provision for credit losses declined slightly from a year earlier to $12.9 million. Pre-provision net revenue for the first quarter was $86 million, increasing 30% from a year earlier, as the company grew its balance sheet 43%, mainly from its acquisitions of Harleysville National in April, 2010. First Niagara's first quarter ROA was 0.85% and its dividend payout ratio was 73%. The payout ratio has ranged from 64% to 140% over the past year. The consensus among analysts is for the company to earn a dollar a share in 2011. The shares trade for 12 times the consensus 2012 earnings estimate of $1.15 a share. With HSBC (HBC) recently indicating a desire to sell-off its Upstate New York retail branches, David Darst of Guggenheim said in a report on June 1 that First Niagara was looking at another "considerable opportunity" to expand, with other possible acquirers of the branches including M&T Bank (MTB) KeyCorp (KEY) TD Bank (TD) and Capital One (COF). Darst has a neutral rating on First Niagara, with a $14 price target. The ten analysts covering First Niagara are evenly split between buy and hold ratings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV