10. Dime Community Bancshares
Dime Community Bancshares (WSBC) of Brooklyn, N.Y. has seen its stock return 12% over the past year, closing at $13.65 Friday. Based on a quarterly payout of 14 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 4.10%. Dime had the second-highest yield among TheStreet's conservative list of 10 Bank Dividends with Room to Rise.
The company had $4.1 million in total assets as of March 31, with 26 branches in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx, as well as in Nassau County on Long Island.Dime reported first-quarter net income of $11.1 million, or 33 cents a share, increasing from $9.5 million, or 28 cents a share, during the first quarter of 2010. Earnings were boosted by a decline in the company's provision for loan losses to $1.4 million in the first quarter from $3.4 million a year earlier. Net interest income increased 7% year-over-year, to $35 million. Dime's first-quarter return on average assets (ROA) was 1.08%, and its dividend payout ratio -- dividends declared divided by earnings-per-share -- was 42% during the first quarter, according to SNL Financial. Dime's payout ratio has been 50% or lower over the past five quarters, which is why the company was included in the list of 10 Bank Dividends with Room to Rise. After the first-quarter results were announced, Matthew Kelley of Sterne Agee reiterated his neutral rating on Dime Community, saying that the shares were fairly valued, but estimating a "potential terminal value" ranging from $17 to $19 a share, "or 10x-11.5x pro forma 2012 earnings with 25% cost saves." Kelly lowered his 2011 earnings estimate for Dime by a nickel to $1.29 a share, and his 2012 estimate by six cents to $1.30. The consensus among analysts polled by FactSet is for the company to earn $1.34 a share during 2011. The shares trade for 10 times the consensus 2012 earnings estimate of $1.41 a share. Two of the eight analysts covering Dime Community Bancshares rate the stock a buy, while the remaining analysts all have neutral ratings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV