On the flip side of Infinity is giant insurer Travelers (TRV). This $25 billion market cap company is a behemoth in the insurance industry and likely well prepared to ride out any storm including record tornados and hurricane season. Shares moved only slightly lower in May.
The stock moved in lock step with the market, losing a modest 1.9% of its value during the month of May and avoiding a knee-jerk reaction to the storm activity. We will have to find opportunity based on valuation and earnings growth.Over the last three quarters, Travelers has blown away earnings estimates, beating them by 38 cents per share in the last quarter. For the full year, Travelers is expected to earn $6.30 per share. At current prices the, stock trades for less than 10 times that number. With a dividend yield of more than 2%, investors might find the stock attractive. Given its size, Travelers is well-prepared for even the biggest natural disaster. I just don't think investors can get hurt here, and we can expect the company to continue beating estimates. Travelers would seem to be a good stock to own on such basis. Travelers, one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated insurance stocks, shows up in David Einhorn's Greenlight Capital portfolio; Greenlight boosted its position size by 97% in the first quarter, to 4.2 million shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV