NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The hotels and resorts industry is expected to generate revenue of $6.4 billion and profit of $787 million during 2010 to 2011, based on strong domestic and international tourism and recovery in global economic growth.
The upturn in economic activity, led by robust movement in household disposable income, business revenue and profit, would rebound tourism and improve occupancy in the hotels and resorts industry. Meanwhile, investment in new hotels and consolidation among operators will increase enterprise and establishment numbers by 0.8% and 1.3% to 1,018 and 1,292, respectively. Besides, the industry's employment and wages are growing by 3.7% and 4.4%, respectively.
Analysts expect these eight hotel and resort stocks to generate lucrative returns for investors over the next 12 months. These stocks have 13% to 32% upside with strong buy, hold ratings.
8. MGM Resorts International (MGM), a holding company, is engaged in providing gaming, hospitality and entertainment services through its wholly owned subsidiaries. The company owns and operates casino resorts that include gaming, hotels, dining, entertainment, retail and other resort amenities.
Of the 27 analysts covering the stock, 44% rated a buy and 48% advised a hold. Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the stock to gain an average 13.5% to $16.10 in the next 12 months.Total revenue for the first quarter of 2011 increased 3.2% to $1.50 billion from the year-ago period. Net loss narrowed to $89.9 million or 18 cents per share, compared to $96.7 million or 22 cents per share in the first quarter of 2010. The revenue per available room (RevPAR) during the quarter increased to $113 from $97 in the same quarter of 2010. Occupancy rate rose to 87% from 85%. The company's non-gaming division, MGM Hospitality, recently announced plans to expand its operations in China by opening 30 hotels over the next three years, in a bid to capture the growing demand for luxury travel. Besides, MGM's initial public offering on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange raised $1.4 billion with the company owning a 51% stake and 29% stake retained by Ms. Pansy Ho, a Hong Kong-based businessperson. MGM Resorts would receive $311 million in net proceeds from Ms. Ho.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV