In Your 50s? Design Portfolio for the Long Term
BERKELEY HEIGHTS, N.J. ( TheStreet) -- Many 50- and 60-year-olds look at the pot of money they've accumulated for retirement and think they can't afford to lose any. They have a very short-term investment perspective with minimal tolerance for risk, and given the market carnage of 2008 and early 2009, who could blame them?
Unfortunately, those taking this approach are unwittingly sabotaging their retirements, because they have focused solely on investment risk and are ignoring two others: inflation and longevity.
|For most people, being 100% invested in cash is a sure-fire way to lose purchasing power and outlive their money.|
What impact does inflation have on a retiree's standard of living? The long-term U.S. inflation rate is roughly 3%, which sounds relatively benign -- but for perspective, here is the impact a 3% annual inflation rate has on $100 of purchasing power over time:
- 10 years: $74.40, or 26% decline
- 15 years: $64.18, or 35% decline
- 30 years: $41.19, or 58% decline
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV