NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- SunOpta (STKL) shares got a lift in late trades on Friday after the stock was mentioned favorably on Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" television show.
Cramer, co-founder of TheStreet, the publisher of this Web site, highlighted SunOpta as a health food stock that trades at just 14 times earnings despite having a 30% long-term growth rate.
The stock was last quoted at $7.95, up 7.4%, on volume of nearly 210,000, according to Nasdaq.com. Based on a regular session close at $7.40, the shares were down a little less than 4% so far in 2011. That still puts the stock up almost 53% in the past year, but its 52-week high of $8.83 dates back to Dec. 21.
On May 11, Toronto-based SunOpta reported its first-quarter results, posting earnings from continuing operations of $5.1 million, or 8 cents a share, on revenue of $260.9 million. In the same period a year earlier, the company earned $4.2 million, or 6 cents a share, on revenue of $216.7 million.The company's main business is producing natural and organic food products but it also holds a majority 66.4% stake in Opta Minerals, which processes and recycles industrial minerals, and a minority stake in Mascoma Corp., a biofuels company. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV