A big part of today's show will be the showman. Tech has no bigger master of ceremonies than Steve Jobs. He's the inspiring and irreplaceable force behind Apple's success, and without him, the company's future is far less certain. That's why each public appearance matters so much.
Apple has finally gotten comfortable enough with network-based services to put its name on it.The iCloud promises to be the music streaming song locker that iTunes has always lacked. Good bye MobileMe, the $100-a-year email, contact and calendar syncing service; hello $$ iCloud, which promises access to all your files on all your Mac devices. The speculation has been that Apple may charge $25 a year for the service. There have also been reports that Apple will shell out as much as $150 million in upfront payments to the record companies that agreed to the streaming music license. Pressure is on. Rivals like Google (GOOG) and Amazon (AMZN) have already introduced their cloud streaming and storage plans; even Microsoft had a big "to the cloud" marketing campaign. Apple needs to show how iCloud gets it right. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Scott on Twitter at MoritzDispatch
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV