Summer Business: Ask the CEOs
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The summer season has unofficially started, but the U.S. is coping with a slew of bad economic news. The number of new jobs on nonfarm payrolls were far fewer than expected in May; the housing market appears headed toward a second leg down, and the U.S. government is once again pushing up against its debt ceiling.
Against this backdrop, TheStreet asks business leaders what type of summer it will be for American business.
Steve Forbes, chairman of Forbes, is relatively optimistic on the U.S. economy. "The second half of this year I think will be better than the pessimism than we have today, barring some disaster. They kicked Greece down the road, that will come back again, but they've kicked that can down the road a little bit. Hopefully, we won't have any more tsunamis in Japan or earthquakes, though I think there may be a dollar crisis."
He favors a modern gold standard to solve that dollar problem, but still sees the economy growing 3% plus in the back half of the year. "Still, though, it's like a baseball player hitting .200 when he's capable of hitting .400."
|Eyal Waldman, Mellanox CEO|
Management software maker BMC (BMC), which recently put out strong fourth-quarter results, is also confident about the coming months. "We think that we will have a good summer," explained BMC CEO Bob Beauchamp. "Our strength is usually in the December and March-ending quarters
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV