1. Tyson Foods (TSN) is a meat protein and food production company. It produces, distributes and markets chicken, beef, pork, prepared foods and allied products. Tyson structures its operations into four segments: chicken, beef, pork, and prepared foods. The stock has a beta of 0.70
For its latest second quarter, earnings remained flat at $159 million, or 42 cents per share, compared to the prior year's second quarter. Revenue for the period soared 15.7% to $8 billion from $6.9 billion as total volumes increased 3% and average sales price rose 12.3%.
"We produced record sales for the second quarter on substantially higher sales prices in addition to increased volume. All segments except Chicken were within or above their normalized operating margin ranges. While Chicken was well below its normalized range, it was profitable, and we believe it will continue to be profitable in the third and fourth quarters. Our Beef segment remains solid, and our Pork segment continues to produce outstanding returns. Prepared Foods is moving in the right direction, and we've got more work to do in this segment," said Donnie Smith, Tyson Foods' president and COO.The company forecasts 2011 sales to exceed $32 billion, driven by price increases associated with rising raw material costs. Capital expenditure is estimated at approximately $700 million. Of the 17 analysts covering the stock, 59% recommend a buy, while 35% rate it a hold. On average, analysts estimate an upside of 15.2% to $21.77 from current levels. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 8 Low-Beta Stocks for a Market Correction portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV