5. Calavo Growers (CVGW - Get Report) procures and markets avocados and other perishable commodities, and prepares and distributes processed avocado products. It offers a range of fresh and processed food products globally to food distributors, producers, wholesalers, supermarkets, and restaurants. The stock has a beta of 0.61
During the first quarter of 2011, net sales rose 36% to $91.3 million from $67.3 million, driven by increased sales of Mexican- and California-sourced avocados. The sales increase was partially offset by decreased sales from Chilean-sourced avocados, pineapples, as well as tomatoes. Net income inched up to $2.31 million from $2.27 million. Earnings per share remained flat at 16 cents.
The company recently signed an acquisition agreement for Renaissance Food Group, a closely-held fresh food company that produces, markets and distributes nationally a portfolio of healthy, premium lifestyle products for consumers via the retail channel. The acquired entity's 2011 revenue is expected to exceed $100 million.Of the four analysts covering the stock, 50% recommend a buy and the remaining rate it a hold. There are no sell ratings. On average, analysts estimate 32.5% upside to $29 in value from current levels.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts