Story updated with a comment from Goldman Sachs.
Goldman Sachs' stock fell two percent to $133.50 after the news.
Rochdale Securities analyst Richard Bove told TheStreet that he expects the stock to decline to $120 by the end of trading Thursday, arguing that the political risk for the firm has increased and he that investors need to exit their positions."I would sell the stock," Bove says. "The government has made a decision that Goldman is a high profile risk to society. You don't often see a government go after a company and the government will continue to go after them until Goldman changes its management and restructures." Bove has had a sell on Goldman since May 12. Bloomberg says sources said the office requested information related to the bank's activities related to the U.S. Senate's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations report and the bank's role in the mortgage industry. Goldman would not confirm or deny it had been subpeoned. "We don't comment on specific regulatory or legal issues, but subpoenas are a normal part of the information request process and, of course, when we receive them we cooperate fully," a spokesperson said. The New York District Attorney's office would not comment on the reports. --Written by Maria Woehr in New York.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Maria Woehr. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/newsgirlmw. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV