6. U.S. Steel (X), an integrated steel producer, operating in North America and Europe. The company manufactures a wide variety of flat-rolled and tubular products. It operates in three major segments: flat-rolled products, U. S. Steel Europe and tubular products. The company's other businesses include transportation and real estate services.
For the first quarter of 2011, the company's net sales grew 24.8% to $4.9 billion from the year-ago quarter. Net loss narrowed to $86 million or 60 cents per share, compared to $157 million or $1.10 per share in the first quarter of 2010. Raw steel capacity utilization in 2011 first quarter stood at 77%, up 5% sequentially.
The company's Serbian unit recently launched a new roll servicing facility worth more than $5 million at its cold rolling mill in Smederevo. For the first quarter of 2011, U.S. Steel declared a dividend of 5 cents per share payable June 10, 2011. Heading into the second quarter, the company expects to record an overall operating profit, benefiting from higher price realization in the flat-rolled segment.Of the 13 analysts covering the stock, 46% recommend a buy while 46% rate a hold. Data from Bloomberg has analysts reporting an average 12-month price target of $57.57, or 31% higher than the stock's current price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV