6. U.S. Steel (X), an integrated steel producer, operating in North America and Europe. The company manufactures a wide variety of flat-rolled and tubular products. It operates in three major segments: flat-rolled products, U. S. Steel Europe and tubular products. The company's other businesses include transportation and real estate services.
For the first quarter of 2011, the company's net sales grew 24.8% to $4.9 billion from the year-ago quarter. Net loss narrowed to $86 million or 60 cents per share, compared to $157 million or $1.10 per share in the first quarter of 2010. Raw steel capacity utilization in 2011 first quarter stood at 77%, up 5% sequentially.
The company's Serbian unit recently launched a new roll servicing facility worth more than $5 million at its cold rolling mill in Smederevo. For the first quarter of 2011, U.S. Steel declared a dividend of 5 cents per share payable June 10, 2011. Heading into the second quarter, the company expects to record an overall operating profit, benefiting from higher price realization in the flat-rolled segment.Of the 13 analysts covering the stock, 46% recommend a buy while 46% rate a hold. Data from Bloomberg has analysts reporting an average 12-month price target of $57.57, or 31% higher than the stock's current price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV