8. Nucor (NUE) and its affiliates are engaged in the manufacture of steel and steel products. Nucor also produces direct reduced iron for use in the company's steel mills. The company's operations are structured into three segments: steel mills, steel products and raw materials.
For the first quarter of 2011, Nucor reported net earnings of $159.8 million or 50 cents per share, compared to $31 million or 10 cents per share in the same quarter of the prior year. Notably, the company swung to net income from net loss in the fourth quarter 2010, surpassing the company's guidance range. Meanwhile, net sales were up 32% to $4.83 billion, led by a 22% increase in average sales price per ton. Further, Nucor's steel mills operating rates increased to 80% from 73% year-on-year and 63% sequentially.
The company's current dividend yield is 3.13%. The first quarter 2011 dividend payout was 36.25 cents per share, representing Nucor's 152nd consecutive quarterly cash dividend.Of the 14 analysts covering the stock, 43% recommend a buy and 36% rate a hold. Data from Bloomberg has analysts predicting an average 12-month price target of $49.25, about 20.3% higher than the stock's recent price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV