IndexIQ, a leader in developing index-based commodity, international, and liquid alternative investment solutions, is set to launch the
IQ Japan Mid Cap ETF
on the NYSE Arca platform this morning, it was announced today.
RSUN is the first Exchange-Traded Fund (ETF) dedicated to providing access to Japan’s mid-cap stock sector, where many of the country’s most successful companies can be found, including the Industrial, Financial and Technology sectors. Those sectors made up 23.16 percent, 17.69 percent, and 9.08 percent, respectively, of the fund’s underlying index as of May 16, 2011.
RSUN seeks to replicate, before fees and expenses, the performance of the IQ Japan Mid Cap Index (IQMDJPN), a float-adjusted market cap-weighted index that is intended to track the overall performance of the mid-cap sector of publicly traded companies domiciled and primarily listed on an exchange in Japan. As in the U.S., the Japanese mid-cap sector is comprised in part of companies that combine the attractive growth characteristics of small cap companies with the size and financial stability of larger cap companies. RSUN is intended to provide pure-play exposure to this sector either as a standalone vehicle or in combination with small- and large-cap Japanese ETF offerings to create a broad-based portfolio.
“Japan has seen more than its share of tragedy this year, yet the country is remarkably resilient with a strong global economic base supported domestically by many leading small- and mid-cap companies,” said Adam Patti, CEO of IndexIQ. “To date, there has been no way for individuals in the U.S. to get focused exposure to the potential of these mid-sized companies. RSUN allows investors to isolate and access this sector of the Japanese economy in a low cost, highly liquid, tax efficient way.”
RSUN joins IndexIQ’s suite of International ETFs, and is the first mid-cap fund in what had previously been a stable of small-cap offerings, including:
- IQ South Korea Small Cap ETF (NYSE Arca: SKOR), the first South Korea small cap ETF;
- IQ Taiwan Small Cap ETF (NYSE Arca: TWON), the first Taiwan small cap ETF ;
- IQ Australia Small Cap ETF (NYSE Arca: KROO), the first Australia small cap ETF;
- IQ Canada Small Cap ETF (NYSE Arca: CNDA), the first Canada small cap ETF; and
- IQ Hong Kong Small Cap ETF (NYSE Arca: HKK), the first Hong Kong small cap ETF.
IndexIQ also has a robust family of commodities and global resources-focused ETFs, including:
- IQ Global Resources ETF (NYSE Arca: GRES), the first Global Natural Resources ETF;
- IQ Global Agribusiness Small Cap ETF (NYSE Arca: CROP), the first global agribusiness small cap ETF; and
- IQ Global Oil Small Cap ETF (NYSE Arca: IOIL), the first global oil small cap ETF.
The firm is also the sponsor of a number of index-based liquid alternative investment products designed to “democratize” the alternative investment landscape, including
- IQ Hedge Macro Tracker ETF (NYSE Arca: MCRO), the first Global Macro ETF;
- IQ Hedge Multi-Strategy Tracker ETF (NYSE Arca: QAI), the first US-listed Hedge Fund Replication ETF;
- IQ Alpha Hedge Strategy Fund (IQHIX – Institutional Share Class; IQHOX – Investor Share Class), the first open-end, no-load Hedge Fund Replication mutual fund;
- IQ Merger Arbitrage ETF (NYSE Arca: MNA), the first Merger Arbitrage ETF; and
- IQ Real Return ETF (NYSE Arca: CPI), the first multi-asset class “Real Return” ETF, which seeks to generate a real return above the rate of inflation as measured by changes in the Consumer Price Index;
IndexIQ products are designed to be liquid, transparent, low cost, and accessible to a broad range of investors.
Based in Rye Brook, New York, IndexIQ is a leading developer of index-based liquid alternative investment solutions that combine the benefits of traditional index investing with the risk-adjusted return potential sought by the best active managers. The company’s philosophy is to democratize investment management by making innovative alternative investment strategies available to investors in low cost, liquid and transparent products. IndexIQ strategies are marketed through the company’s proprietary investment products and select partnerships with leading global financial institutions. Additional information about the company and its products can be found at
*Ordinary brokerage commissions apply. IndexIQ’s ETF holdings are available daily on IndexIQ’s website. ETFs are liquid in that they are exchange-traded.