RANCHO CORDOVA, Calif., June 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- ThermoGenesis Corp. (NASDAQ: KOOL), a leading supplier of innovative products and services that process and store adult stem cells, said today it has received FDA clearance of its 510(k) submission for the use of its Res-Q™ 60 (Res-Q) System technology to be used for the safe and rapid preparation of autologous platelet rich plasma (PRP) from a small sample of blood at the patient's point-of-care. The PRP is mixed with autograft and/or allograft bone prior to application to a bony defect for improving handling characteristics.
The Res-Q 60 technology is a point-of-care platform designed for the preparation of cell concentrates. Our first product, Res-Q 60 BMC is currently used to concentrate stem cells from bone marrow aspirate. A slightly modified version has been designed for use with peripheral blood in the preparation of a PRP concentrate. PRP is a rich source of growth factors which has been shown to enhance healing.
"This represents a major regulatory milestone for the Company and a key element of our product line extension strategy. The Res-Q technology is well suited for the preparation of PRP and literature has demonstrated that there is a wide range of potential applications for PRP including orthopedic and cardiovascular indications among others. Our market research suggests that this could be an important market opportunity for the Company," said J. Melville Engle, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ThermoGenesis.
"We currently have one Res-Q PRP distribution agreement in place and, over the past several months, have had encouraging discussions with other potential distribution partners for Res-Q in the PRP market. With this FDA clearance, we hope to complete one or more additional agreements in the coming months and begin commercial sales later this year," he added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV