Borders in Talks to Sell Half Its Stores
Borders filed for bankruptcy protection in February.
Gores is discussing buying more than 200 of Borders' 405 remaining stores, said people familiar with the matter. The stores and other assets could be bought for about $200 million or so, the people said, the Journal reported.
Borders had 642 stores before it entered bankruptcy.The talks remain fluid and could fall apart, the people said. Other unidentified suitors are also in discussions with the bookstore chain, the newspaper said. A Borders spokeswoman declined to comment, as did a spokesperson for Gores. The Journal noted how interest in Borders has picked up since Liberty Media's recent bid for Barnes & Noble (BKS), which valued that chain at roughly $1 billion. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV