BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Hedge fund manager Steven Cohen has been making the news recently, but not for the typical reasons you'd expect to see a legendary trader make the papers. Earlier this month, the billionaire's reported interest in buying a stake in the New York Mets was getting the media's attention (a focus that has since shifted to David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital, who bought a minority stake in the team).
Cohen's also making headlines regarding insider trading investigations by the SEC into his hedge fund, SAC Capital.
But that's not why we're looking at Cohen and his fund today.
SAC Capital boasts one of the best track records in the industry -- a 30% average annual return for the last 18 years, according to data from Bloomberg. Of course, that sort of performance comes at a cost: SAC has one of the priciest fee structures in the hedge fund business.Related: 5 Rocket Stocks for June Gains Either way, you get what you pay for. Described as one of the best traders in the world, Cohen is known for his dedication to the firm. Rumor has it that he sends a team of techies ahead of him when he travels to set up a trading platform that he'll be able to use while away from the office. With all of those resources poured into stock picking, let's take a moment to pick apart some of the most recent buys that SAC Capital reported in its quarterly filings with the SEC. The firm's aggregate portfolio changed significantly in the last quarter -- new positions make up a full 27% of the firm's total reported market value (keep in mind that reported holdings are relegated to certain kinds of positions). With that, let's take a look at some of the bigger new buys. (Check out Cohen's top 30 holdings here.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV