How to Get Noticed by Venture Capital
CHICAGO ( TheStreet) -- The market for technology startups is vast and growing, but it doesn't take pages and pages of business projections or even an off-the-charts innovative idea to get a venture capital firm on board.
Lightbank is a Chicago-based firm focused on early-stage technology companies. Its founders, Eric Lefkovsky and Brad Keywell, were the brains behind the hugely successful daily deal website Groupon.
Lightbank looks to invest primarily in early-stage technology companies. But the firm also serves as mentor, taking a hands-on role to help promising entrepreneurs grow their businesses.
Paul Lee, Lightbank's newest partner, spoke with TheStreet about the companies the firm is eyeing and how small tech firms can get noticed.What are some specific technology areas with a lot of startup activity right now? Lee: One is what I'd like to call customer acquisition. That really is like a Groupon. The beauty about Groupon is it's the ultimate performance marketing -- you're only really paying for customers that are literally walking through your door. The flip side is the loyalty aspect. Of your existing customers, how do you get them to come back? We've actually been looking at that space. On the customer acquisition side, we announced
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV