NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Hedge Fund SAC Capital Advisors is being investigated by the Securities and Exchange Commission into whether traders used inside information to profit from the $15 billion takeover of MedImmune in 2007, The Wall Street Journal reported.
The investigation is part of a broad SEC inquiry into trading by hedge funds in stocks connected to some of the biggest health care deals of the past decade, the Journal said, citing people familiar with the matter.
It wasn't previously known that SAC was a focus of the SEC insider-trading probe, the newspaper noted. Authorities haven't alleged any wrongdoing by either SAC Capital or Steven A Cohen, who founded the firm in 1992.
"We respond to all regulatory inquiries fully and accurately, and we are confident in our business practices," an SAC spokesman told the newspaper.SAC also is being investigated by Iowa Sen. Charles Grassley into whether it engaged in potential insider trading in multiple instances over the past 10 years. Federal prosecutors in New York also are investigating the firm. MedImmune's purchase by AstraZeneca (AZN) is one of several big health care deals the SEC has been investigating for at least 18 months, the Journal said, citing the people familiar with the matter. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV