DALLAS, May 31, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- William J. Lindquist, Chief Executive Officer of Waste Control Specialists ("WCS"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Valhi, Inc. (NYSE: VHI), today praised the Texas Legislature for approving legislation that strengthens the partnership between the state of Texas, Andrews County and WCS to provide a Texas Solution to a critical longstanding environmental challenge.
Noting the significant efforts and investments made by all three partners in developing a disposal facility, Mr. Lindquist said the legislature put the final piece in place by recognizing waste from outside the state was necessary to make the facility affordable and cost-effective for Texas generators, paving the way for disposal operations to begin later this year at the WCS site in Andrews County.
"The Texas Legislature put the best interests of Texas consumers and ratepayers first by devising a way to keep disposal costs low for Texas generators while providing tens of millions of dollars annually for the state budget through a voluntary access surcharge paid by generators outside the Texas Compact states of Texas and Vermont," Lindquist said.
This legislation was sponsored by Senator Kel Seliger of Amarillo and Representative Tryon Lewis of Odessa, both of whom represent Andrews. The legislation received overwhelming support in the legislature; near unanimous approval in the Senate and three-quarters approval in the House of Representatives."Senator Seliger and Representative Lewis have taken a very conservative approach in this legislation, mindful of the fact that this facility will be owned by the state and that the investment must be sound," Lindquist said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV