Previous attempts to create new mobile product categories by Intel, Microsoft (MSFT) and Qualcomm (QCOM) have proved problematic, although experts think that the chip giant's latest move is a sound one.
|Intel's decision to champion super-skinny laptop/tablet hybrids is a shrewd move, say analysts.|
"I think it's the best shot
Intel outlined its plans to build low-power chips for Ultrabooks at the Computex show in Taiwan on Monday, boldly predicting that the devices will account for 40% of the consumer laptop market by the end of 2012.The tech bellwether says that Ultrabooks will combine notebook and tablet features within a "thin, elegant" form factor which is less than 20 millimeters (0.8 inch) thick. Intel, however, has been down this road before. CEO Paul Otellini cited supper-skinny laptops running low-power chips as a key trend more than 2 years ago, although lofty price tags hindered adoption of the technology. Now, though, the chip giant says that the new breed of Ultrabook devices will be priced below $1,000. "I think it's an important segment," Doug Freedman, an analyst at Gleacher & Co., told TheStreet. "I think it's a second attempt
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV