Cincinnati Bell, Inc. (NYSE: CBB) announced today that it now participates in the government-funded Lifeline program through its i-wireless prepaid cell phone service. The i-wireless Lifeline program provides qualifying customers assistance with their wireless telephone service needs.
“We’re pleased to provide discounted wireless service to qualifying households with limited budgets,” said Mike Vanderwoude, Vice President and General Manager of Cincinnati Bell Wireless. “A wireless phone is a necessity in today’s world, providing safety and a mobile connection to the community. But there are many people who go without these benefits because they cannot afford the service. The i-wireless Lifeline program makes wireless affordable for an entire group of customers who have been kept out of the wireless market until now.”
i-wireless offers three Lifeline plans to allow consumers to find the best fit. They are:
- Connect Plan – Provides 250 free minutes per month,
- Lifeline Unlimited Talk & Text Plan – Includes Unlimited Talk, Text and pay-per-use data for $28 per month, and
- Lifeline Mega Monthly Plan – Includes Unlimited Talk, Text and 100Mb of web access for $38 per month.
All i-wireless plans have no credit checks, contracts or hidden fees. Phones are available for as low as $19.99.Currently, the i-wireless Lifeline program is only available to Ohio residents. However, Cincinnati Bell plans to launch the i-wireless Lifeline program in Kentucky with similar rate plans in the near future. The Lifeline program is a Federal assistance program, which is funded by the Universal Service Fund. Lifeline service is limited to one discount per qualifying household. Ohio residents are eligible if they participate in one or more of the following programs:
- Section 8 Housing/Public Housing
- Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
- Supplemental Security Disability Income (SSDI)
- Ohio Works First or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Free School Lunch Program
- General Assistance/Disability Assistance
- Income Eligibility (Income at or below 150% of the federal poverty level)