Russell Investments has launched the first comprehensive series of Factor ETFs designed to offer practical solutions to help sophisticated investors manage risk exposures within their portfolios. The Russell Factor ETFs, a series of 10 U.S. equity ETFs, aim to deliver focused large cap and small cap exposure to five significant risk factors – high beta, low beta, high volatility, low volatility and high momentum – while also manage portfolio turnover and control exposure to other non-targeted risk factors. These new ETFs, which began trading Friday on the NYSE Arca, constitute Russell’s second wave of ETF products launched in the U.S. market in May, following the launch of Russell Investment Discipline ETFs™ on May 19.
“The trade-off between risk and return has always been the core of investing,” said James Polisson managing director of Russell’s global ETF business. “However, the factors that constitute risk, as well as the appropriate way to measure and manage it, are often a gray area and not fully accounted for in the investment decision-making process. With the advent of the Russell Factor ETFs, we believe investment professionals now have an efficient, cost-effective way to help minimize unintended influences and help manage individual risk factor exposures within their portfolios.”
While ‘risk’ is commonly defined as market uncertainty and is often measured by observing an asset’s total return volatility over time, Russell analysts believe investors today have a growing awareness that risk and return are often influenced by indirect risk factors. Three risk factors that have shown strong influences on portfolio returns, based on Russell’s research, are beta, volatility and momentum. Beta is a measure of a stock’s price sensitivity relative to the broad market, while volatility measures a security’s total risk, rather than relative risk, and momentum is a measure of how quickly a stock has appreciated over the medium term. The Russell Factor ETFs, designed to track factor indexes that were created by Russell Indexes in partnership with Axioma, Inc. are:
- Russell 1000® High Beta ETF (NYSE:HBTA)
- Russell 1000® Low Beta ETF (NYSE:LBTA)
- Russell 1000® High Volatility ETF (NYSE:HVOL)
- Russell 1000® Low Volatility ETF (NYSE:LVOL)
- Russell 1000® High Momentum ETF (NYSE:HMTM)
- Russell 2000® High Beta ETF (NYSE:SHBT)
- Russell 2000® Low Beta ETF (NYSE:SLBT)
- Russell 2000® High Volatility ETF (NYSE:SHVY)
- Russell 2000® Low Volatility ETF (NYSE:SLVY)
- Russell 2000® High Momentum ETF (NYSE:SHMO)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV