NEW YORK ( TheStreet Ratings) -- With billions of dollars of purchases coursing through the retail sector every day, technology companies like Google (GOOG) are teaming up with Citigroup (C) and MasterCard (MA) to introduce mobile wallet payments made with smart phones.
There are even Apple (AAPL) applications, such as Square, that help turn iPhones into credit card readers while avoiding the need to open a traditional merchant account. With Square, your garage sale can now accept Visa (V), MasterCard, American Express (AXP) and Discover (DFS).
One of the benefits to technological innovations is the ability to charge relatively high fees on each transaction. Plus, small amounts of millions of transactions can really add up to big money. Don't count out the players who have been in the payment processing game the longest. Dow Jones U.S. Financial Services Index Fund (IYG) holds proven payment leaders Citigroup, Visa, and American Express among its top 10 holdings.When selecting an exchange-traded funds to cover the tech companies positioned to take advantage of mobile payments, take a look at Internet HOLDRS (HHH) which is weighted to 19.7% eBay and 46.7% Amazon.com (AMZN). Or, for a more diverse tech ETF, consider the First Trust Dow Jones Internet Index Fund (FDN) with Google as its top holding at 8.5% of assets. -- Reported by Kevin Baker in Jupiter, Fla.
For additional Investment Research check out our Ratings Research Center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV