May was a strong month for consumer staples, utilities, and the health care sector. As wide-reaching global economic concerns weighed heavily on the broad market indices, the Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR (XLP), XLU, and Healthcare Select Sector SPDR (XLV) managed to outperform.
Looking to the near future, many of the same issues that plagued the global markets in May look set to continue. Devising a strong plan for defense will be essential to successful market navigation.
PowerShares Dynamic Leisure & Entertainment Portfolio (PEJ)
The summer vacation season is gearing up and as consumers prepare to escape their offices for a little rest and relaxation, investors may want to keep the PEJ and other consumer-focused funds on the radar.Despite concerns regarding the detrimental effects of rising commodity costs, the consumer has proven to be a resilient corner of the market during the first half of 2011. It will be interesting to see if this strength holds up during the coming months. Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV