7. Star Scientific (CIGX)
Company Profile: Star Scientific develops dissolvable smokeless tobacco products, which are billed as delivering fewer carcinogenic toxins.Shares of Star Scientific began surging in March on reports that compound RCP-006, which the company says is a "nutritional supplement," has potential in treating Alzheimer's. TheStreet's Adam Feuerstein notes that RCP-006, also known as anatabine, "might one day be a cure for Alzheimer's, but it's very premature to make such a claim since this nutritional supplement (not even a drug) has not yet been tested in humans, let alone humans with Alzheimer's." That skepticism hasn't kept shares from rising. The stock did take a hit in April before the Food and Drug Administration said it will regulate smokeless electronic cigarettes as it does with traditional tobacco products. Shares are now near their all-time high. Current Share Price: $4.73 (May 27) 2011 Total Return: 142% Analyst Ratings: No research analyst currently follows Star Scientific. TheStreet Ratings does not have a rating on the stock.
6. USA Technologies (USAT) Company Profile: USA Technologies is a supplier of cashless, remote-management, reporting and energy-management services. Shares of USA Technologies ramped higher in January after the company said revenue in its fiscal second quarter jumped 60% from a year earlier to $6 million, while its net loss narrowed to a penny a share from a loss of 19 cents. Shares pulled back slightly in March after USA Technologies announced it raised nearly $11 million in a private placement of common stock. In April, USA Technologies announced a collaboration with Verizon Wireless for connectivity that enables wireless point-of-sale payments at vending machines via credit and debit cards. Current Share Price: $2.50 (May 27) 2011 Total Return: 142% Analyst Ratings: Northland Securities has an "outperform" rating and $3 price target on USA Technologies. The only other research firm covering the company, Janney Montgomery Scott, rates the stock "neutral" with a price target of $1.25. TheStreet Ratings has a "sell" recommendation on USA Technologies, citing "unimpressive growth in net income and poor profit margins."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV