7. Star Scientific (CIGX)
Company Profile: Star Scientific develops dissolvable smokeless tobacco products, which are billed as delivering fewer carcinogenic toxins.Shares of Star Scientific began surging in March on reports that compound RCP-006, which the company says is a "nutritional supplement," has potential in treating Alzheimer's. TheStreet's Adam Feuerstein notes that RCP-006, also known as anatabine, "might one day be a cure for Alzheimer's, but it's very premature to make such a claim since this nutritional supplement (not even a drug) has not yet been tested in humans, let alone humans with Alzheimer's." That skepticism hasn't kept shares from rising. The stock did take a hit in April before the Food and Drug Administration said it will regulate smokeless electronic cigarettes as it does with traditional tobacco products. Shares are now near their all-time high. Current Share Price: $4.73 (May 27) 2011 Total Return: 142% Analyst Ratings: No research analyst currently follows Star Scientific. TheStreet Ratings does not have a rating on the stock.
6. USA Technologies (USAT) Company Profile: USA Technologies is a supplier of cashless, remote-management, reporting and energy-management services. Shares of USA Technologies ramped higher in January after the company said revenue in its fiscal second quarter jumped 60% from a year earlier to $6 million, while its net loss narrowed to a penny a share from a loss of 19 cents. Shares pulled back slightly in March after USA Technologies announced it raised nearly $11 million in a private placement of common stock. In April, USA Technologies announced a collaboration with Verizon Wireless for connectivity that enables wireless point-of-sale payments at vending machines via credit and debit cards. Current Share Price: $2.50 (May 27) 2011 Total Return: 142% Analyst Ratings: Northland Securities has an "outperform" rating and $3 price target on USA Technologies. The only other research firm covering the company, Janney Montgomery Scott, rates the stock "neutral" with a price target of $1.25. TheStreet Ratings has a "sell" recommendation on USA Technologies, citing "unimpressive growth in net income and poor profit margins."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV