NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- For investors who are rightly impatient with an anemic banking sector, TheStreet has compiled a list of 10 bank stocks priced under $5 with the most upside, based on consensus price targets.
Several names on the list are speculative, with large price declines over the past year, as common stakes were diluted through large capital raises and the banks worked to pare down nonperforming loans and repossessed real estate.
For many of the names, the risk and potential rewards are reflected in aggressive price targets, even among analysts with neutral ratings on the shares.
Citigroup (C) left the ranks of the "under $5 club" after the market close on May 6, when the shares underwent a 1-for-10 reverse split. Since then, through Wednesday's close at $40.33, the shares had declined 11%.To come up with our list we looked at all U.S. bank stocks priced below $5 at Wednesday's market close, excluding those traded on the PinkSheets and those with three-month average daily trading volume below 50,000 shares. All data was provided by SNL Financial. Here are the 10 bank stocks under $5 with the most upside potential, based on consensus price targets among analysts polled by FactSet:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV