The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Kevin McElroy
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I know I have a tendency to continually write about two obvious trends -- sovereign debt and peak oil -- and if it seems like I'm repeating myself, it's only because these trends are so deadly important to understand for investors.
Commodity investors especially need to pay attention to sovereign debt and peak oil, because these two trends fuel the booms in precious metals and energy investments.Historically, these sectors are among the most profitable -- if you can catch the right stock at the right time. But today I'm going to write about a slightly different investment sector that should benefit from both trends. And unlike a high-flying gold stock, or a micro-cap junior oil exploration company, the companies in this sector are big, kind of boring and only have a long, slow history of rewarding investors with fantastic returns. I'm talking about railroads. And if you stop reading now, I don't blame you, but before you do, take a quick look at the chart below, which tracks the gains for the nine biggest railroad stocks over the past 12 years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV