In February, Encana (ECA) sold a 50% interest in its Cutbank Ridge business assets in British Columbia and Alberta to PetroChina (PTR) for $5 billion, a deal viewed by the market as valuing a limited number of Canadian assets at attractive price.
In 2010, Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) had acquired East Resources for $4.7 billion, a mark topped by the Encana joint venture value.
Canada's Athabasca Oil Sands went public last April, at the same time as the Conoco sale, in a $1.4 billion deal that was one of Canada's largest IPOs.
All of the IPO proceeds are being repaid to Forest Oil, which spun off 18% of its ownership of Lone Pine through the IPO. Forest Oil still owns approximately 82% of Lone Pine and has said it will distribute those shares to Forest Oil shareholders in four months.If the Lone Pine deal didn't reach its pricing goal, it still accomplished another goal of Forest Oil in terms of transparency of operations to the investor community. Analysts following the deal said that the spinoff of Lone Pine made it easier for investors to "get their hands around" Forest Oil. -- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Eric Rosenbaum. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Eric Rosenbaum. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV