Still, Hamilton said, the NLRB ruling comes at an unfortunate time, because the relationship between Boeing and the IAM appear to have improved recently. "Clearly Boeing has recognized that Local 751 members are producing airplanes at an unprecedented rate with top quality, and then this thing comes up -- it's just a real setback in terms of the larger picture," he said. Significantly, the IAM lobbied side-by-side with Boeing in its successful bid to win the $35 billion contract to build aerial refueling tankers for the Air Force.
With Boeing eyeing the possibility of increasing 787 production beyond 10 a month, an obvious solution to the NLRB problem is to build 10 in Washington, and then to build additional airplanes in Charleston, Hamilton said, adding: "I know they are talking about 17, although they haven't acknowledged that yet." Nevertheless, Hamilton said he believes Boeing would prefer to pursue the case to the Supreme Court, where anti-labor sentiment seems to dominate, than to reach a compromise. "To settle would be to admit they were wrong, and Boeing doesn't do that," he said.
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. .
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV