Company Profile: McDonald's franchises and operates McDonald's restaurants in the food-service industry. The company and its franchisees buy food, packaging, equipment and other goods from numerous independent suppliers.
Share price return: 7.5% this year
Franchise locations: As of March 31, McDonald's had 32,805 restaurants, 26,398 of which were licensed to franchisees.
Revenue from franchises: Franchises accounted for 32% of McDonald's $6.1 billion in total revenue last quarter, or $1.96 billion. Company-owned restaurants pulled in about $4.2 billion in revenue.
Franchise costs: For a new McDonald's restaurant, the initial fee paid to McDonald's is $45,000, and the company estimates that equipment and pre-opening costs range from $1 million to $1.8 million. Franchisees also must pay a monthly service fee equal to 4% of monthly sales and a monthly base rent. McDonald's notes that relatively few first-time owner/operators get a new restaurant. McDonald's requires an initial down payment of 40% of the total cost for a new restaurant or 25% of the total cost for an existing restaurant. The company also requires a minimum of $500,000 of nonborrowed personal resources.
Analyst view: As a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, McDonald's has a large analyst following. Fifteen analysts, or nearly 58% of those covering the stock, say McDonald's is a "buy." Credit Suisse, Sanford C. Bernstein and Stifel Nicolaus are among those bullish analysts. The other 11 analysts following the stock rate it "hold."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV