Company Profile: Denny's operates a family-style restaurant chain in America with the Denny's brand name.
Share price return: 12.9% this year
Franchise locations: As of March 30, Denny's counted 1,665 restaurants, with 1,439 franchised or licensed and the other 226 company-owned and operated.
Revenue from franchises: Franchise revenue accounted for 23% of Denny's $135.8 million in total revenue last quarter. Company sales totaled $104.5 million in the most recent quarter, compared with $31.2 million from franchise and license revenue.
Franchise costs: Denny's says franchisees must meet a minimum financial requirement of $350,000 liquid capital to invest and a net worth of $1 million. Denny's estimates that the total initial investment is between $1.2 million and $2.6 million. There is a royalty fee of 4% of gross sales and an advertising fee of 3% to 4% of gross sales, the company says. For new restaurants, there is an opening training fee.
Analyst view: Five of six analysts covering Denny's say investors should buy the stock. CL King analysts even have a "strong buy" rating. Only one firm -- EVA Dimensions -- has a "sell" rating on Denny's.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV