Company Profile: Sonic operates and franchises a chain of quick-service drive-in restaurants in the U.S.
Share price return: 12.7% this year
Franchise locations: As of Aug. 31, Sonic had 3,572 drive-in restaurants, of which 3,117 were franchises.
Revenue from franchises: Franchise revenue accounted for 23% of Sonic's total revenue last quarter. Sonic reported first-quarter revenue of $26.5 million from franchise drive-ins, compared with $86.4 from company-owned locations.
Franchise costs: Sonic says the franchise fee for a restaurant is $45,000, with a total initial investment ranging from $710,000 to $3 million. There are also royalty fees that run between 4% and 5%, and advertising fees of nearly 6%. Depending on the number of locations owned, franchisees are required to have liquidity of $1 million and net worth of $1 million.
Analyst view: Five research firms have a "buy" rating on Sonic, including RBC Capital Markets and Piper Jaffray. Another seven analysts say investors should hold the stock, while four researchers suggest dumping shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV