Sonic Corp. (SONC)
Company Profile: Sonic operates and franchises a chain of quick-service drive-in restaurants in the U.S.
Share price return: 12.7% this year
Franchise locations: As of Aug. 31, Sonic had 3,572 drive-in restaurants, of which 3,117 were franchises.
Revenue from franchises: Franchise revenue accounted for 23% of Sonic's total revenue last quarter. Sonic reported first-quarter revenue of $26.5 million from franchise drive-ins, compared with $86.4 from company-owned locations.
Franchise costs: Sonic says the franchise fee for a restaurant is $45,000, with a total initial investment ranging from $710,000 to $3 million. There are also royalty fees that run between 4% and 5%, and advertising fees of nearly 6%. Depending on the number of locations owned, franchisees are required to have liquidity of $1 million and net worth of $1 million.
Analyst view: Five research firms have a "buy" rating on Sonic, including RBC Capital Markets and Piper Jaffray. Another seven analysts say investors should hold the stock, while four researchers suggest dumping shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV