By David Faber, CNBC Anchor and Reporter
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- A report Tuesday from accounting analysts at JP Morgan (JPM) seems to put a reliable number on the amount of cash that U.S. corporations hold in their foreign subsidiaries, and it's a doozy.
Of the 880 companies that JP Morgan reviewed (using thousands of 10(k)s from the past eight years), it found 519 companies have a collective $1.375 trillion in undistributed foreign earnings.
That number now seems destined to find its way into the ongoing debate about whether a "tax holiday" should be declared for those corporations that choose to bring some of the cash back to our shores and use it to create jobs.
More from CNBC
Greece 'Unable to Avoid a Restructuring': Fixed Income CIO
America Needs to Get Fiscal House in Order: Cantor
Bank of America Merrill Lynch to Exit Private Equity Business
The JP Morgan researchers weigh in on the subject of repatriation and conclude that even in the unlikely event such a tax holiday is created -- it's opposed by the Obama administration -- while there is a House bill on the matter, there is no companion legislation in the Senate -- it would not result in a flood of repatriation. This is largely because much of the over $1 trillion worth of undistributed earnings overseas will likely be reinvested across the pond.For example, General Electric (GE), a part owner of CNBC, only repatriated $1.2 billion of an estimated $37 billion it held overseas the last time such a tax advantaged repatriation was available, in 2005. Now, GE finds itself with $94 billion overseas, the largest single sum for a U.S. corporation, and the report's authors assume that given the low percentage of past repatriation, most of that money would remain overseas. -- Written by David Faber of CNBC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV