Copper stocks in Shanghai shrunk by 60,000 tons in March to April and the strong inventory build observed up until the end of April in Asian London Metal Exchange warehouses appears to have ended, Commerzbank says.
ANZ Research Commodity Analyst Natalie Robertson says reports suggesting that China is planning to expand output of its nonferrous secondary scrap market by 60% from 2010 to 1.2 million tons by 2015 implies an expected improvement in underlying demand.
Goldman Sachs now says that copper prices represent a good buying opportunity after saying last month that it was closing out of its commodities basket trade, citing near-term risk-reward considerations.
Despite the bullish reports on copper in recent days, data from Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission indicates that in the week of May 17, speculator and investor net long positions in copper fell by 66 kilotons to 39.6 kilotons, the lowest since mid-2010 thanks to worries about global growth, Eurozone sovereign debt and a stronger dollar.Copper stocks were rising in midday trading. Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold (FCX) was gaining 2.6% to $50.07, while peer Southern Copper (SCCO) was rising 1.7% to $35.34. Copper miner Taseko Mines (TGB) was up 1.2% to $5. Copper fabricator Encore Wire (WIRE) was trading sideways at $22.75. Mining equipment maker Bucyrus International (BUCY) was unchanged at $91.68, while peer Joy Global (JOYG) was up 1.2% to $87. Mining equipment manufacturer Caterpillar (CAT) was adding 1.8% at $103.37. >>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV