TheStreet: Can you outline the expense challenges brought about by the regulatory changes?
O'Brien: All of these laws that pass and then implemented, with CRA
Plus, capital levels are going higher, not that I disagree with that, but for smaller banks with smaller revenue opportunities and tighter interest margins it will be harder and harder to pay for the compliance infrastructure you're are going to need to properly run a company.
CRA started as a two-sentence law, and now we have armies of regulators, consultants and advisors. It has become a cottage industry.Same with RESPA -- it started with good intentions and has turned into an incredibly complicated form that people throw away and don't use. It's cumbersome for a smaller bank to afford the staff for all these rules and regulations. A community bank tends to do a little bit of everything. It's not like any business line has an enormous business stream. You layer in all these costs, including the reporting and examination and hiring a consultant to find ways to fine-tune it. You have to look at statistical anomalies and try to conform to the standards. We lend in our communities and we live in our communities. We don't need a lot of national or super-regional type rules or regulations to tell us how to do what we do. It's in our DNA. For shareholders, we have to look at an appropriate return, since they capitalized our business. How much should go to compliance expenses? TheStreet: How was your bank affected by the "opt-in" rule for ATM/Debit card overdraft protection? O'Brien: To the extent that our customers used overdrafts, they had credit lines so we weren't affected as much. TheStreet: What about the Durbin Amendment
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV