- Small Nonpeptidic Mimics of Host Defense Proteins as Potential Antimalarial Drugs Under a grant received from the National Institute of Health (NIH), PolyMedix tested hundreds of its antimicrobial compounds and identified several new compounds that kill the malaria parasite, Plasmodium falciparum. These compounds show low cytotoxicity and do not harm human cells, as well as have the possibility for oral activity.
- Identification of Novel Host Defense Protein Mimics for Treatment of Oral Candidiasis Under a grant that PolyMedix received from National Institute of Health (NIH) to support the development of defensin-mimetic antimicrobial compounds for the treatment of oral candidiasis (a fungal infection), PolyMedix has identified several compounds that show cidal activity against Candida albicans. The compounds tested show varied selectivity profiles against human cells and bacteria, indicating that compounds can be identified that are active specifically against bacteria or fungi but do not harm human cells. In addition, the antimicrobial activity of the lead compounds was unaffected by saliva.
- Nonpeptidic Mimics of Host Defense Proteins as Antimicrobial Agents for Foodborne Pathogens PolyMedix continues to test its antimicrobial compounds against the most prevalent foodborne pathogens. The data presented showed that 30 of PolyMedix’s compounds are broadly active against at least 6 of the 8 foodborne pathogens tested. In addition, PolyMedix identified 14 highly selective compounds that have antimicrobial activity against Campylobacter jejuni, the leading cause of bacterial foodborne gastroenteritis. The results showed no evidence for the emergence of resistance in serial passage assays with Salmonella enterica versus the PolyMedix compounds.
PolyMedix Presents Antimicrobial Compound Data At Two Prestigious Scientific Meetings
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts